10th European Music Analysis Congress (EuroMAC-10) at Moscow P.I. Tchaikovsky Conservatory,
September 20-25, 2021.
Analysis, Theory and History of Music: and/or/vs Relationship
The relation between the domains of music scholarship remains a complex one. The formulation of abstract theoretical principles often contrasts with the practical aspects of analytical procedures. Just as often, both are synthesized in a single approach. Preference is often given to either theory or analysis; and this relationship often varies from one national society to another. Moreover, in some countries the historical component remains an inseparable component of theory or analysis pedagogy and scholarship, while in other countries there is a tendency to separate historical musicology from music theory. This intricate map of the world of music scholarship will be a central theme for discussion at the European and global forum of EuroMAC-10.
We invite papers on the following topics:
1) The epistemology of music theory in relation to that of music analysis and history.
2) Music theory as a kind of universal knowledge vs. historically-informed theory.
3) Theoretical and historical aspects of ethnomusicology from its origins to today.
4) Aspects of theory and analysis that deal with the expressive content of music: music as a language, musical semiotics, and musical signification.
5) The theories of newest music, the object and the methods of its analysis.
6) Technical approaches to theory and analysis vs. new musicology and critical theory.
7) Theories and methods of analysis
8) Free topics.